Ocean Ulantia Willson
• 1998 – 2002 Custom Wedding Dresses. Cotton, flax and hemp.
• 2002 – 2018 Custom Costumes and Accessories. Hand bags, belts, chaps, holsters. Leather cutwork and silver set getstones.
• 2013 – 2018 Custom Marine Canvas. Boat tops, dodgers, sail covers, sail bags etc. Canvas, clear vinyl windows.
Courses and skills learned
• 2002 Introductory serger course
• 2008 Flax basket weaving NZ
• 2002 Industrial and domestic sewing machine maintenance and repair
• 2003 Leather knots and braid workshop
• 2005 Introductory pattern making
• 2010 hand embroidery
• 2017 introduction to weaveing
• 2017 Icelandic weaving techniques
• 2017 artist residency in Iceland
• 2017 indigo dye workshop
• 2018 maiwa natural dyes paint and print work shop
• 2018 Maiwa/Tim Whitten marlinspike workshop
I am a Canadian artist currently based on the Sunshine Coast B.C. I have been sewing and creating a wide
range of things for the past 20 years. From intricately detailed wearable art to custom marine canvas.
Anywhere my skills and interests take me. I use many different materials, some of my favorites
are natural fibres such as hemp, linen, silk, wool and leather i also love gemstones and metals. I'm always looking for new inspiration,
materials, and ideas to create interesting works of art.
I grew up all down the west coast of Canada and the US reaching as far down as San Diego.
Also having my time in the east i lived in the bay of Fundy NS, Toronto, long island and Brooklyn NY.
i see the waves come rolling in every day from where i live and dream of far off lands and all the beauty of the world.
i am continually inspired by the sea and some times i even get the honor of seeing whales and pods of dolphins..
my studio is filled with all the treasure ive found along my travels of the world.
The name Ulantia is made up of 2 things. Ula is for the gem of the sea and
Atlantis for the lost city put together makes Ulantia...
I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows,
where ox lips and nodding violet grows;
quite over-canopied with lush woodbine,
with sweet musk roses, and with eglantine.
there sleeps titania, sometime of the night,
lulled in these flowers with dances and delight,
and there the snake throws her enamell’d skin,
weed wide enough to wrap a fairy in.
(william shakespeare, A midsummer nights dream)